Sunday 11 October 2015

Domestic Sundays • Sticky marmalade & carrot loaf.

It's funny isn't it how a simple recipe can bring back memories from years before? Just like a familiar scent I guess, or a particular place, I get that same bout of familiarity with well tested bakes.

Sundays have become my bake day. Nigella of the North wakes up bright and early Sunday morning, dons the apron, and gets to work. Okay. Dream over. I wish I could call myself 'Nigella of the North' (although I have been coined that before..) and I certainly don't rise quite as early as I should but never mind that. I still enjoy a spot of baking and general household duties on a day I've now called 'Domestic Sundays'.

I'm terrible for keeping up with this blog. I had such high hopes for it too, a little spot that I could pour my heart, soul, and calorific goods into but I got seriously distracted (and a little poorly) so naturally it took the back burner.

Never mind, best laid plans hey?

Today changed something I guess. For one, I'm in my prime blogging location (surrounded by bubbles and Dead Sea salts, but unfortunately sans wine - C'est la vie!) and secondly, I recreated my favourite carrot cake recipe from yonks ago.. back in the day where I'd come home from Plymouth (university) for the holidays to have a little book of goodies waiting for me - a collection of torn out recipes that my gran used to collect for me. For the life of me I can't think where this little culinary scrapbook is but it's on the top of my list to find it for sure.

On that note, and without further adeu, here's this delicious recipe for you to try 💕




Ingredients (for the loaf):
• 150 ml vegetable oil
• 2 eggs
• 175g light muscovado sugar
• 350g carrots, peeled and grated
• 1 tbsp thick cut marmalade
• 1 tbsp poppy seeds
• 200g self-raising flour
• ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 1 tsp mixed spice

Ingredients (for the topping):
• 2 tbsp thick cut marmalade
• 2 tbsp orange juice (just under half an orange)

Method:-
• Preheat the oven to 150C
• Grease and line a 13cm by 23cm loaf tin
• Beat the eggs with the oil and sugar, stir in the carrots, marmalade and poppy seeds
• Stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice
• Mix well, pour into the tin, level the surface, and bake for 75 minutes  or until a skewer comes out clean
[I leave mine to cool in the tin on the side]
• Heat the marmalade and orange juice together
• Make holes all over the cake with a skewer and brush the mixture all over

Wait until completely cool and deliciously sticky, slice, and enjoy.

[Recipe can be found here]

-x-

No comments:

Post a Comment